Engagement Scholarship can mean two things:
- Scholarly projects that are done in an engaged fashion – i.e. university researchers collaborate with community or corporate partners to undertake a research project that is mutually beneficial.
- Research and scholarly inquiry about engagement; investigating research questions about the nature, efficacy, or outcomes of engagement.
2020-2021 Year of Engagement Scholarship Initiatives
Funding for Engagement Scholarship
- A portion of YOE-funded projects will be awarded to Engagement Scholarship projects
Global Place-Based Universities Conference
- January 21-22, 2021; led by UCIS.
- Brings university partners from around the globe together to discuss university engagement in their larger cities and regions.
Pitt’s Community-Engaged Scholarship Forum
The University of Pittsburgh Community Engaged Scholarship Forum (CESF) elevates, celebrates, and reflects on collective approaches to community-engaged scholarship and practices that advance mutually beneficial, community-identified priorities. CESF defines community broadly to include partnerships with nonprofits, grassroots organizations, coalitions, neighborhoods, government agencies, and entrepreneurs/businesses. Organizations and individuals with an interest in the intersections of campuses and communities are invited to participate.
- March 2, 2021
- Implements a digital version of this system-wide conference on community-engaged scholarship.
- Enhances the Partnership of Distinction award highlights to brightspot exemplary partnerships across the Pitt system.
Engaged Scholarship Development Initiative
Faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral fellows are invited to participate in the Engaged Scholarship Development Initiative to learn how to implement Engaged Scholarship, connect with other engaged scholars, and advance their own work.
- Workshops throughout the academic year, summer design intensive in May 2021.
- Faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral fellows are invited to participate in a series of workshops on engaged scholarship led by experienced engagement scholars.
- Culminates in a “summer design intensive” where select participants work on an individual engaged scholarship project.